Private Militaries and Market States
Returned from the San Francisco trip, met a smart group of people in a wide variety of fields and was able to influence some thinking. Excellent lunches with a few guys in Palo Alto too.
Here is the core of my thinking on the topic I presented on:
- The nation-state system is distorting the market that the PMC industry acts within.
- It is important to understand that the real customer of PMC services is the tax paying citizen, not the nation-state.
- Due to the nature of the nation-state and its focus on providing welfare it is important to recognize that it is not the most efficient or effective customer of PMC service.
- With the increasingly diffused nature of the ability to use coercive force it is necessary to understand that the questions of accountability that rise will be answered by the market, not by regulation.
- When violence reaches a tipping point and becomes a commodity, the PMC industry will face pressure to act in accordance to the market as opposed to what is dictated by the nation-state system.
- This is where it becomes imperative to fully understand the market-state and choose the most effective model to implement.
Sign up for my newsletter.