How To Think
MIT’s Ed Boyden has a good cheat-sheet on how to think:
- Synthesize new ideas constantly.
- Learn how to rapidly learn.
- Work backward from your goal.
- Always have a long-term plan.
- Make contingency maps.
- Make your mistakes quickly.
- Write up best-practice protocols.
- Document everything obsessively.
- Keep it simple.
Some of this stuff should be kept implicit, including his particular conversations-notes strategy, but its an excellent rundown. Sometimes I think he class he wants to teach should be the sole focus of of an undergraduate program.
Sign up for my newsletter.