The rules are as follows: (I ended at step 2, and like Mark, cherry picked what I wanted to answer.)
1. Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share Christmas facts about yourself.
3. Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
1. Wrapping or gift bags?
Full disclosure: Gift bags for gift card type presents – generic, investment made, but no real thought applied. Wrapping paper requires thinking. Especially since I make up the wrapping process as I go, every time.
2. Real or artificial tree?
Artificial. Too busy with family to do the real thing. Planning on changing that when I settle down a bit.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Only the hosting family puts up the tree. So prior to everyone else descending on the house in a flurry of coats, presents and kids seeking nourishment.
4. When do you take the tree down?
When everyone leaves, post New Years.
5. Do you like eggnog?
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
Back when I collected books -now I stockpile them- clothbound elegant editions of Douglas MacArthur’s Reminiscences and Ulysses S. Grant’s Memoirs and a Super Nintendo in 1993.
This year’s will be my favorite if its a nice chefs knife or knife sharpener. My culinary skills are experiencing a sharp uptick, but sadly, my current knife just isn’t cutting it. =)
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
When I lived across from and attended a private school in Cheltenham, England there was one on their front lawn, which in England terms, was kind of our lawn.
I played the third inn keeper in the school production of the play too.
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Socks and a t-shirt. Never got an explanation.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. Email’s too ubiquitous. Physical cards add value to an economy of abundance. (Unless you are the grinch.)
10. Favorite Christmas Movie?
The Muppet Christmas Carol.
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I keep an eye out all year and pick it up around Thanksgiving.
12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Meat and ‘taters.
13. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
I’m starting to think Christmas trees should be reminiscent of Tiffany & Co. (Website). Clear if with the ornaments white and silver, topped with a star.
Colored if you’re going for the traditional multicolored home-feel with a brick fireplace. Topped with an angel.
14. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Our system: Some component of the distributed extended family hosts the entirety of the rest of the US branch. Swap out locations yearly.
15. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
Morning. Santa won’t be there Christmas Eve.
16. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Traffic and its confounding ability of collective intelligence closer to drop.
17. Least favorite holiday song?
I try to tune out the two month auditory barrage.
18. Ever been to Midnight Mass or late-night Christmas Eve services?
Sign up for my newsletter.